The Ghana Internet Services Providers Association (GISPA, www.gispa.org.gh), is a professional, non-profit trade association representing the interests of local ISPs and other internet providers. The strength of the Association rests on its ability to be truly representative of the Ghanaian Internet industry as a whole; currently has twenty three (23) members.
Through meetings, negotiation, print, radio and press conferences, the association brings issues affecting its members into the limelight, affecting the decisions of policymakers and creating awareness in the general public. GISPA aims to effectively lobby the government and regulatory bodies in order to grow the Internet in Ghana and make it easier for Ghanaians to access effective but affordable communications services.
- Drove to establish the Ghana Internet eXchange through theGhana Internet eXchange Association (GIXA) in a new facility at the Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence.
- Successfully negotiated to liberalize the VoIP industry.
- Achieved a 40% reduction in SAT3 fibre prices for GISPA members.
- Co-operated with the incumbent to introduce a 50% off system for dial-up Internet access.
Ongoing projects include negotiating to buy bulk bandwidth from the SAT3 undersea fibre-optic cable and addressing issues of professional conduct and standards of service within the industry. In addition GISPA is guiding legislative proposals to increase the ability of the private sector to invest in Ghana’s communications industry through sector privatization and liberalization.
- To promote and protect the interests of ISPs in Ghana.
- To drive the widespread adoption of internet access and services throughout the country.
- To pursue and satisfactorily resolve issues affecting ISPs in a systematic manner.
- To communicate pertinent ISP-related information to stakeholders and third parties.
The Association is governed by a five (5) member board of directors:
- Mr. Ernest Brown of ZIPNET - President
- Mr. George Gabla of Internet Solutions
- Mr. Alex Sulzberger of Ecoband
- Mr. Richard Densu of MTN
- Mr. Emmanuel Adjei of AIRTEL